Born and educated in England, John Hawkins attended the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst and was commissioned into the Middlesex Regiment in 1962. Resigning his commission, he emigrated to Australia in 1967.
He is a founding member of the Australian Antique & Art Dealers Association and President from 1993 to 2000. He was elected a Life Member in 2016.
He lives in Tasmania and is acknowledged internationally as having assembled some of the world’s finest collections of Decorative Arts.
He has been instrumental in supplying important and historic items to many of the world’s leading public institutions:
- Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences, Sydney (formerly the Powerhouse Museum)
- National Gallery of Victoria
- The Art Gallery of South Australia
- The Geelong Gallery, Victoria
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- The Minneapolis Institute of Art, USA
- The National Army Museum, Edinburgh, UK
- The National Gallery of Australia, Canberra
- The National Library of Australia, Canberra
- The National Museum of Australia, Canberra
- The National Museum of Scotland, UK
- The National Trust of Australia
- The Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston
- The Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
- The State Library of New South Wales, Sydney
- The Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart
- The Victoria and Albert Museum, London